Your time starts now! Take the next step toward charting your course at Eastern Kentucky University. Test our new freshman Scholarship Estimator to see if you qualify for an automatic merit award.
A student is considered a freshman at EKU, when he or she has:
- no previous college coursework, or
- completed college coursework prior to high school graduation, or
- earned 23 hours or fewer college credits since high school graduation.
Eastern Kentucky University takes a holistic approach to determining admission. Below are the requirements for standard admission to the university as a first-time freshman:
ACT English: 18+ or SAT Evidence Based Reading/Writing: 510
ACT Math: 19+ or SAT Math 510
ACT Reading: 20+ or SAT Evidence Based Reading/Writing: 510
High School Cumulative GPA (unweighted): 2.5
New freshman applicants may also be granted Success First admission. All applicants, regardless of category, must have a minimum high school GPA of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale.
*All students must have a minimum high school GPA of 2.0 on a 4.0 scale and meet Kentucky college readiness standards in English (18), Math (19), Reading (20) on the ACT subject tests or SAT equivalents. Students who do not meet the requirement for full admission may seek enrollment through a Success First initiative or may retest to demonstrate proficiency.
How to Apply
- Apply to EKU using the online application.
- Submit payment for the $35 application fee.*
- Provide an official high school transcript showing a minimum of six semesters of coursework at the time of admission and a final transcript post-graduation. Students who have earned 23 hours or fewer of college credit since graduating high school must also provide an official college transcript.
- Send official ACT or SAT scores and transcripts to the Office of Admissions.
For assistance with submitting the online application or to request a paper application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
*Waived Application Fee:
In an effort to make EKU more accessible, we are waiving the undergraduate freshmen fee for Fall 2020 for students who live in our service region or one of the Appalachian Regional Commission counties in Kentucky.
The service region and Appalachian Regional Commission counties include Adair, Bath, Bell, Boyd, Boyle, Breathitt, Carter, Casey, Clark, Clay, Clinton, Cumberland, Edmonson, Elliott, Estill, Fleming, Floyd, Garrard, Green, Greenup, Harlan, Hart, Jackson, Johnson, Knott, Knox, Laurel, Lawrence, Lee, Leslie, Letcher, Lewis, Lincoln, McCreary, Madison, Magoffin, Martin, Menifee, Metcalfe, Monroe, Montgomery, Morgan, Nicholas, Owsley, Perry, Pike, Powell, Pulaski, Robertson, Rockcastle, Rowan, Russell, Wayne, Whitley, and Wolfe.
The waived application fee is only for students that have not yet applied for admission. Don't delay and apply for free today!
Please note: The application fee is not required of students seeking admission as a Veteran, EKU Now! or High School Special Admit student.