Richmond Area Information
Whether you prefer the relative peace and quiet of a small town or all the buzz of a large city, living in Richmond offers the best of both worlds. Richmond is a fast-growing but still quiet community of about 32,000 where the Bluegrass region and all its scenic horse farms meet the foothills of the rugged Appalachian mountains. Just 25 miles north, an easy drive on I-75, is Kentucky’s second-largest city, Lexington, population 305,000. Other large cities within an easy two-hour, all-interstate drive are Louisville, Ky., Cincinnati, Ohio, and Knoxville, Tenn.
Richmond Centre offers a great selection of stores in a beautifully landscaped open-air environment located on exit 87 from I-75 -- just one mile from campus. Stores include Belk, J C Penney, Michael’s, Hallmark, T. J. Maxx, to name just a few, along with a variety of restaurants. Richmond Centre also houses Cinemark Theatre featuring 12 screens playing the newest releases. A variety of other shopping venues can be found in downtown and throughout the city.
Entertainment, Parks and Recreation:
- EKU Center for the Arts
- Galaxy Bowling and Entertainment Center offer special rates for college night.
- Lake Reba Recreational Complex has something for everyone featuring nature trails, batting cages, putt-putt golf, horseshoes, boating, fishing, a playground, Gibson Bay Golf Course and Paradise Cove Water Park.
- E.C. Million Memorial Park is perfect for a leisurely day out with walking trails, picnic tables and shelters.
- E.C. Million Park offers options for the active lifestyle or for relaxing with a large playground, tennis courts, a walking trail, and picnic tables and shelters.
- Battle of Richmond Visitors Center and Driving Tour
- Fort Boonesborough State Park
- Hummel Planetarium and Space Theater (on EKU’s Campus!)
Lexington Area Attractions:
- Ashland, The Henry Clay Estate
- Aviation Museum of Kentucky
- Jean Farris Winery and Bistro
- Keeneland Race Course
- Kentucky Horse Park - Home of the ROLEX Three-Day Event
- Talon Winery & Vineyards
- The Arboretum Nature Preserve
- Whitaker Bank Ballpark -- Home of the Lexington Legends
- Rupp Arena - Concerts and more
Quick and Easy: Popular fast-food restaurants are plentiful in Richmond. Many are located close to exits 87 and 90 just off I-75.
Leisurely Meals: Well-known restaurants in Richmond include Olive Garden, Logan’s Roadhouse, Golden Corral, O’Charley’s, Applebee’s, Cracker Barrel and Red Lobster. Most are conveniently located on exits 87 and 90.
Local Flavor: For a variety of food with local flair, Richmond is home to:
- Madison Garden offering a wide array of food in a fun environment,
- The Paddy Wagon Irish Pub with great food and live music,
- Babylon Café serving traditional Greek food,
- Purdy’s Coffee Co. featuring soups, sandwiches, salads, coffee and baked treats,
- Thai Smile preparing Thai food for every pallet from mild to mega-hot, and
- Casa Fiesta and Casa Café for EKU Colonels with a taste for Mexican food.
Spending the Night
- Best Western Holiday Plaza 859-623-9220
- TownePlace Suites by Marriott 859-353-4860
- Comfort Suites 859-624-0770
- Hampton Inn 859-626-1002
- Holiday Inn Express 859-624-4055
- Quality Inn 859-623-0063
- Bennett house Bed & Breakfast 859-623-5229
- Days Inn 859-624-5769
- LaQuinta Inn 859-623-9121
- Red Roof Inn 859-625-0084