Students desiring to transfer must have completed 24 semester credit hours from an accredited institution with a cumulative GPA of 2.0 GPA or higher. Students with less than 24 credit hours will also need to submit a complete secondary school record as required of freshman.
Steps when applying:
1) Submit an online application for the term (Fall or Spring) you would like to begin. Students must indicate the major they wish to pursue in order for an I-20 to be issued.
2) Pay the required $35.00 USD application processing fee. (This fee is waived for students applying for conditional admission through the ELS Intensive English Language program.)
3) Submit a copy of your passport information page proving a valid passport.
4) Submit official transcripts for all college-level coursework taken from accredited institutions in the U.S. Transcripts must be sent directly to EKU from each institution attended.
5) Provide a declaration of finances showing an account balance of no less than $33,903 USD in the form of a bank statement with a letter of authorization from the account holder. These documents must be no less than one-year-old from the date classes are set to begin. If a student is sponsored by their home government or another entity, please include a letter indicating the awarding of such scholarship.
Notes: The statement for students seeking a Aviation – Professional Flight degree must reflect $49,048 USD to cover the additional $15,490 USD cost of flight instruction the first year. The program will cost a total of $62,000 extra over the four years of study.
6) Demonstrated English language proficiency. Before being accepted for admission to the university international students must demonstrate their English language proficiency. For direct admission students may demonstrate proficiency by one of the following means:
- TOEFL score of 530 (paper based), 195 (computer based), or 71 (internet based) with no band score below a 16.
- IELTS scores of 6.0 overall with 5.0 or above in EVERY subject/skill category.
- Japanese students may submit the EIKEN test with a passing score of Pre-1.
- Students who submit ACT or SAT scores with Reading and English sections will have their scores reviewed to determine admissibility.
- Credit for English 101 and 102 from an accredited U.S. college or university with a grade of "C" or better. (Note: Coursework may not have been taken in an online or hybrid format).
Students who are unable to demonstrate proficiency through one of the above criteria may enroll in Intensive English Instruction for Academic Purposes through the ELS-Richmond Pathway Center. Students who have been fully admitted through ELS – Richmond will receive a conditional letter of admission (CLA), provided all other requirements are met.
Transfers from Kentucky Colleges and Universities
International students transferring from a college or university in Kentucky1 with a minimum of 24 college credits (earned beyond high school graduation) and with a college GPA of 2.5 or higher will qualify for the SMART tuition programprovided they meet all of the applicable academic criteria for program eligibility.2 International students must be attending their current institution on a valid visa.
Transfers from other American Universities
International students residing in the U.S. on a valid visa and who transfer from another regionally accredited college or university1in a SMART state or from one of the SMART Plus designated schools with a minimum of 24 college credits (earned beyond high school graduation) and with a college GPA of 2.5 or higher will be eligible for the SMART tuition program provided they meet all of the applicable academic criteria for program eligibility.2
International students who have a valid Conditional Letter of Admission (CLA) and attend ELS-Richmond Centerwill be eligible for the SMART tuition program once they attain eligibility (i.e. English proficiency) to enroll. International students for other ELS centers transferring to EKU with a valid CLA must complete ELS 110-112 at ELS-Richmond to be eligible for the SMART tuition program.3
1SMART discounts and merit scholarships do not apply to Sponsored students or students enrolled in Graduate studies.
2International students may be required to submit a TOFEL or IELTS English Proficiency Exam to determine admissibility to the University. TOFEL and IELTS exams may not be used as substitution for SMART eligibility.
3International students attending other ELS centers may apply for admission to EKU and compete for established ELS scholarships, but are not eligible for SMART tuition. ELS-Richmond students who receive SMART tuition are not eligible for other merit-based or EKU ELS scholarships.